Benjamin (Ben) T. Cory Partner
Benjamin ("Ben") Cory is a Partner in the firm's Commercial Department. Mr. Cory's practice areas include Creditor's Rights, Banking, Business Formation, Business Transactions, Real Estate Transactions, Real Estate Development and Homeowner's Associations. Mr. Cory is admitted to practice before the State and Federal Court in Montana and State Court in Wyoming, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Mr. Cory grew up in Missoula and is actively engaged in the Missoula community. Mr. Cory received his undergraduate degree from the University of Montana and his law degree from the University of Montana School of Law. While in law school, he served as Executive Editor of the Montana Law Review and interned for the Honorable Donald W. Molloy, former Chief Judge, U.S. District Court for the District of Montana.
Mr. Cory and his wife have four daughters and enjoy spending their free time in and around Western Montana's mountains, lakes and rivers.
- Banking Law, Compliance, and Internal Operations and Processes
- Business & Workforce Development
- Business Entity Formation
- Business Law & Governance
- Business Succession Planning
- Commercial Real Estate
- Debt Restructuring and Workouts
- Energy & Mineral Transactions & Projects
- Estate Administration & Probate
- Estate Planning
- Financing, Loan Structuring, and Documentation
- Foreclosures, Claim and Delivery, Replevin, and Injunctive Remedies
- Homeowners' Associations, Condominiums & Planned Unit Developments
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Other Business Transactions
- Residential Real Estate
- Trusts & Trust Administration
- Workforce Management & Dispute Prevention
- Montana, 2005
U.S. District Court, District of Montana, 2005
- 2005 - J.D., University of Montana School of Law
- 2000 - B.A., University of Montana
Awards and Honors
- Author - Amos v. Commissioner: The Ambiguous and Ever-Changing Definition of What Constitutes a Personal Physical Injury under Internal Revenue Code Section 104(a)(2), 66 Mont. L. Rev. 247, 2005
- 1st Place American Bar Association Northwest Regional Client Counseling Competition, 2003
Community and Professional Involvement
- Leadership Montana
Vice President , Loyola Sacred Heart Foundation, Board of Directors, 2008-2009
Loyola Sacred Heart Foundation Board Member, 2006-2012
- YMCA and Missoula Strikers Volunteer Soccer Coach
- Mr. Cory has extensive experience representing local and national lenders with loan workouts and restructuring, real and personal property foreclosures, bankruptcy, financing transactions, loan structuring, and advising financial institutions with respect to day-to-day operations. In addition, Mr. Cory routinely represents main street business owners, as well as large scale companies, with business formation, corporate governance, real estate transactions (including purchase, development and leasing), contract drafting, employment manual preparation and advice, business transactions (including stock and asset purchases), and succession and estate planning.
- Western Montana Bar Association
State Bar of Montana
Bankruptcy Section of the State Bar of Montana
- Wyoming State Bar
* The Wyoming State Bar does not certify any lawyer as a specialist, or expert. Anyone considering a lawyer should independently investigate the lawyer's credentials and ability, and not rely upon advertisements, or self-proclaimed expertise.
-- Rule 7.2, Wyoming Rules of Professional Conduct